How to Obtain a Papal Blessing
Important!: A Papal Blessing must be requested from the local (Arch)Diocese. The following instructions are applicable only to members of the Boston Archdiocese.
Method of securing the blessing through the Apostolic Nunciature in Washington , DC:
The request for the blessing should be addressed to:
Bishop Robert P. Deeley
Moderator of the Curia
66 Brooks Drive
Braintree, MA 02184
Each request is to be sent to the office of the Moderator of the Curia (above) together with the following information:
- A recommendation from the parish priest of the individual(s) to receive the blessing, or from a priest familiar with the individual(s), attesting to his/her/their good standing in the Roman Catholic Church. The request should be on the parish letterhead and have the parish seal.
- In the case of a wedding, both parties should be Catholics. (For anniversaries, it is sufficient that one of the members be Catholic.)
- For priests, parishes, or organizations, the recommendation letter should come from the Diocesan Bishop.
- For Religious, the letter should come from their superior.
- The full name(s) of the individual(s) to receive the blessing
- The diocese to which the person(s) to receive the blessing belongs
- The occasion to be celebrated
- The date of the occasion (please note that if the occasion to be honored has passed already, only a general blessing may be processed and there will be no mention of the occasion/the Wedding, Anniversary, etc.)
If the occasion is a wedding or a baptism:
- The name of the church in which the sacrament will be received
- The city and state in which that church is located
Include the address to which the blessing is to be mailed.
An offering of $20.00 is customary and should be made by check or money order. Please make checks payable to The Apostolic Nunciature.
It takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks for the blessing to be prepared, completed, and returned to the sender.
Method of obtaining a blessing on parchment:
If a blessing on parchment is preferred, it should be requested directly from the Vatican. The same information (see the required information above #1-7) should be included in your request. Please mail your request to the "Servizio Assistenziale del Santo Padre, 00120 Vatican City State, Europe". [The salutation of the Request ought to be: Your Excellency]. The customary offering is $60.00, payable to the "Servizio Assistenziale del Santo Padre" (personal checks are acceptable). Please be informed that it takes 2 or 3 months. The Vatican Office FAX if needed is: 011-3906-6988-3132.