Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs


How can I be involved

How can I be involved in Catholic-Jewish relations?

Work with your pastor to establish a Committee for Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations for your cluster of parishes. A collaborative effort will make for a more effective outreach and more efficient use of resources. For training sessions and/or for advice on appropriate and helpful resources, contact the Archdiocesan Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs.

Offer to work with interfaith clergy associations in your area. Local clergy are always busy with their own congregational responsibilities and would welcome the assistance of trained helpers, especially on occasions like Thanksgiving, which is often an appropriate opportunity for interfaith prayer and action.

Encourage relationship-building between your parish and your local synagogue. Offer to assist your pastor in his own work of outreach to members of other religions.

Set up a study group to learn more about the Church and interreligious relations. To see one such curriculum, click here .

Organize a New Directions Program for the religious educators in your parish religious education program or school. Reach out to other parishes in your vicinity. The New Directions Program, co-sponsored by the Archdiocese of Boston and the Anti-Defamation League, has been highly successful in teaching Catholic religious educators how to teach about Judaism with accuracy and respect. In addition to the basic workshop, New Directions also provides higher level workshops.

Organize a local dialogue using Walking God’s Paths. This six-part video/ multimedia program has been produced by the Center for Christian-Jewish Learning at Boston College on behalf of The National Council of Synagogues and the Bishops Committee on Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops). Contact the Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs for advice.

Invite speakers to address your parishioners, religious education program, or RCIA. Contact the Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs for advice.