Courage, an apostolate of the Catholic Church, ministers to persons with same-sex attraction that are 18 years of age and older and their loved ones. Courage has been endorsed by the Pontifical Council for the Family and our beloved St. Pope John Paul II said of this ministry, "COURAGE is doing the work of God!"
Courage seeks to promote the education and understanding of same-sex attraction, as well as to support our brothers and sisters in Christ who experience this inclination. This support is done within the context of confidentiality and anonymity.
EnCourage is the ministry that supports relatives, spouses, and friends of persons with same-sex attraction. For a direct contact to the local EnCourage chapter, email here
The following FIVE GOALS OF COURAGE were created by the members themselves, when Courage was founded. The goals are read at the start of each meeting and each member is called to practice them in daily
- To live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church's teaching on homosexuality (Chastity).
- To dedicate our entire lives to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist (Prayer and Dedication).
- To foster a spirit of fellowship in which we may share with one another our thoughts and experiences, and so ensure that no one will have to face the problems of homosexuality alone (Fellowship).
- To be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in a chaste Christian life; and to encourage one another in forming and sustaining these friendships (Support).
- To live lives that may serve as good examples to others (Good Example/Role Model).
Courage Chapters of Boston, MA for men and women 18 years of age and older:
- For Men: (617) 552-8138 | Email: [email protected]
- For Women: (508) 341-1843 | Email: [email protected]
For the Courage International website and additional resources, visit here.
For more information on the Courage and EnCourage Annual Conference, visit here.
- Made for Love; Same Sex Attraction and The Catholic Church by Fr. Michael Schmitz
- Living the Truth in Love: Pastoral Approaches to Same-Sex Attraction by Fr. Paul Check and Dr. Janet Smith
- Overcome Ministries support for those experiencing same sex attraction and their loved ones
- Restless Heart; My Struggle with Life & Sexuality by Kim Zember
- NYC Metropolitan Area, Courage Men's Retreat 1/27-29. For more information, visit here.
Family Life Ministry