Courage, an apostolate of the Catholic Church begun in 1980, ministers to persons with same-sex attraction and their loved ones. Courage has been endorsed by the Pontifical Council for the Family and our beloved John Paul II said of this ministry, "COURAGE is doing the work of God!" Courage seeks to promote education and understanding of the issue of same-sex attraction, as well as to support those who struggle with it. This support is done within the context of confidentiality and anonymity.
We also have an outreach called EnCourage which ministers to relatives, spouses, and friends of persons with same-sex attraction.
The following FIVE GOALS OF COURAGE were created by the members themselves, when Courage was founded. The goals are read at the start of each meeting and each member is called to practice them in daily life.
- To live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church's teaching on homosexuality (Chastity).
- To dedicate our entire lives to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist (Prayer and Dedication).
- To foster a spirit of fellowship in which we may share with one another our thoughts and experiences, and so ensure that no one will have to face the problems of homosexuality alone (Fellowship).
- To be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in a chaste Christian life; and to encourage one another in forming and sustaining these friendships (Support).
- To live lives that may serve as good examples to others (Good Example/Role Model).
For more information on Courage, contact [email protected].
For additional resources, see the Courage International website at http://couragerc.net/.
For more information on EnCourage, contact Fr. Albert Sylvia at (617) 552-3859.
For additional information on EnCourage go to http://couragerc.org/encourage/about
Chaplain of Courage Ministries
Fr. Albert Sylvia
Chaplain of EnCourage Ministries
Office: (617) 552-3859