Boston Catholic Athletics/CYO Basketball
Boston Catholic Athletics is a ministry of Family Life & Ecclesial Movements within the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation & Parish Support. Catholic athletes and the life of a disciple are intertwined. As Pope St. John Paul II reminds us: “Every Christian is called to become a strong athlete of Christ, that is, a faithful and courageous witness to his Gospel. But to succeed in this, he/she must persevere in prayer, be trained in virtue and follow the divine Master in everything.”
The challenge before us – how to help our youth encounter Christ through Catholic athletics.
To assist our coaches and athletic directors to meet this challenge, we have partnered with Notre Dame University to certify all our coaches, athletic directors and area coordinators in the coaching as youth ministry and leadership development program, Play Like A Champion Today.
All head coaches must complete this one-time certification by Jan. 1, 2020 and assistant coaches by April 1, 2020. Coaches for the 2020-21 season will need to be certified before Dec. 1, 2020.
Upcoming PLAC coaching clinics:
- Register here for January 25th at St. Catherine of Siena School, Norwood.
- Register here for February 1st at St. Raphael Parish, Medford.
For those parishes in collaboration or those who would like to get a head start on the language of evangelization there are Forming Disciples in Mission workshops offered throughout the year. To find a location near you click here.
If you are a coach, athletic director, principal or pastor and not on our Boston Catholic Athletics Flocknote please click here to join and keep abreast of the latest updates.
How to register a basketball team:
- Step 1 - Read General Guidelines and Boston Catholic Athletics Constitution
- Step 2 - Download the Parish or School entry form
- Step 3 - Download petition forms if applicable -
- Step 4 - Download the Safe Environment Verification form (for both parish and school)
- Step 5 - Send forms and registration fees to your league Area Coordinator by November 8th
- Step 6 - Download a Parish or School roster form
- Step 7 - Download a Minor Release and Consent form if your parish or school does not provide one
- Step 8 - Send roster to your league Area Coordinator by December 1st
- Step 9 - Play Great!
CORI forms are handled at the parish or school level through the CORI Coordinator. New coaches, athletic directors or parent volunteers involved with Boston Catholic Athletics should submit a CORI before working with children. Renewals are administered on a seasonal basis according to a schedule set by the RCAB CORI Office. See your parish/school CORI Coordinator for more information.
CORI Referee forms are handled by the Area Coordinator for each league and processed annually.
Batch forms for referee CORI
CYO Athletic Director