Manager of Finance and Operations (FT), St. Paul’s Parish, Cambridge, MA.
There is simply no place like St. Paul’s in Harvard Square in its scope and mission. The Manager of Finance and Operations assists the Pastor in providing critical operational and administrative management of St. Paul’s Parish, which includes St. Paul’s Choir School and the Harvard Catholic Center. The Manager is responsible for day-to-day operation of the physical, financial and personnel resources of the parish, in accordance with Archdiocesan policies and guidelines.
The Manager is a person of faith committed to Gospel values and the Catholic Church. He or she delivers effective management of resources, and helps the Church fulfill its mission and purpose. The individual should be attuned not only to the business activities of the parish, choir school and Harvard Catholic Center but also to the unique mission of the parish within the life of the Archdiocese and its international impact.
This leadership role reports directly to the Pastor and is also accountable to the Archdiocesan Central Office for compliance with organizational reporting and recordkeeping requirements.
Below is a detailed description of the primary duties and responsibilities:
- Leads the development and preparation of parish (church, school, Catholic Center) budget, annual report, and quarterly reports.
- Provides timely generation of parish (church, school, Catholic Center) monthly reports: P&L, balance sheet, A/R (tuition collection), A/P, general ledger, and any other tasks as assigned.
- Develops monthly variance reports and reforecasts. Review all reports with the Pastor and Head of School, working as a team to develop and implement action plans to improve financial performance.
- Manages oversight of bank accounts and investment strategy at the direction of the Pastor.
- Oversees part time bookkeeping assistant including, but not limited to, payables and receivables and all other parish (church, school, Catholic Center) revenue and expenses.
- Directs purchasing procedures and contract negotiations.
- Serves as the staff liaison to Parish Finance Committee; supports administrative procedures of the School, Advisory Board, Finance Committee and Catholic Center.
- Coordinates Parish pledge drives, while managing weekly offertory collections and reconcilement. Manages capital campaign pledges and collections.
- Ensures that all federal, state and local documentation and taxes are paid in accordance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Provides summary reporting of payments to Pastor and the Finance Committee.
ST. PAUL’S CHOIR SCHOOL SUPPORT
- Supports the Head of School in developing assumptions for the annual budget.
- Reforecasts school finances each fall after enrollment season.
- Supports and assists the Headmaster and Pastor in all school financial management matters.
- Expense tracking and management
- Is an ex-officio member of the school finance committee
- Other management and marketing support as required
- Manages major repairs, renovations and capital projects in accordance with Archdiocesan policies.
- Acts as liaison to Archdiocesan administrative agencies and personnel.
- Manages and directs custodial maintenance functions.
- Acts as a resource for the building committee.
- Is responsible for recording, service payments and fee collections associated with parish security, leasing, rental, use of parish facilities, and acts as a liaison to local government agencies.
- In consultation with the Pastor, implements personnel policies in concert with Archdiocesan policies: develops hiring and termination procedures, job descriptions, personnel evaluations, Open Enrollment and EEO Reports for administrative and support staff.
- Manages payment of salaries and benefits.
- Directs the management of the parish office.
- Oversees implementation of the guidelines and policies of volunteers.
- Coordinates information technology (computer, telephone, etc.).
- Oversees the management, reporting and recordkeeping of parish operational and financial records.
- Brings ideas, plans, and best practices to the parish from Vicariate and Archdiocesan meetings.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Business-related field required
- Working knowledge of the principles of accounting.
- Personnel management experience, including implementation of policies, procedures, staffing selection, federal and state laws, employee motivation, team building, etc.
- Five years business or not-for-profit management experience. Non-profit or Church management experience is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (word processing, spreadsheet, and database), Stage Intacct, Parish Soft. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge fundraising software is desirable, but not required.
- Facility with Spanish appreciated but not required.
SALARY: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
St. Paul’s Parish is a parish of the Archdiocese of Boston in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It serves the territory that encompasses the greater Harvard Square area. As Roman Catholic Parish, it serves a unique role in the life of the Church in that beyond the parochial responsibilities of a parish, it supports the vital work of St. Paul’s Choir School, the only Catholic choir school for boys in the country, as well at the Harvard Catholic Center which provides pastoral care and formation to the Catholic community at Harvard University. The three entities that comprise St. Paul’s maintain distinct budgets which total nearly $2 million annually combined.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Saint Paul’s Parish
29 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
617.491.8400 ext. 303
Position begins ASAP but no later than January 3, 2022.