Director of Professional Standards and Oversight
Office: (617) 746-5624
Fax: (617) 779-4571
The Review Board is a confidential advisory committee that advises the Cardinal in the assessment of complaints of child sexual abuse by a cleric and in his determination of the suitability of an accused cleric for ministry. The Board may offer advice on all aspects of these cases, however the role of the Review Board is not investigatory; the Review Board reviews investigations which have been conducted by the Delegate for Investigations (an Archdiocesan office comprised of professional investigators.)
In addition to advising the Cardinal on addressing particular complaints, the Review Board also advises on policy matters relating to the protection of children. This is the model recommended by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and memorialized in the Essential Norms.
The Review Board is an ecumenical body comprised of psychologists, social workers, educators, retired law enforcement agents, survivors of clergy sexual abuse, parents, judges and pastoral ministers. The Cardinal appoints each member for a term of five (5) years, renewable at his discretion.
Review Board Chairperson:
RDML. Daniel O’Toole, USN (Ret.), Assistant Judge Advocate General of the Navy, Chief Judge of the Department of the Navy.
Review Board Members:
- Rabbi Laurence Bazer, Temple Beth Sholom, Framingham; certified pastoral counselor; Military Chaplain, LTC; board member of New England ADL and the Greater MetroWest CJP Planning Grant Committee
- Paul Christian, JD, Educator, Boston Public Schools
- Scott D. Easton, Ph.D., ACSW, LMSW. Associate Professor, Chair of the Mental Health Department, and Co-founder of the Trauma Integration Initiative, Boston College School of Social Work.
- Br. James M. Peterson, OFM, Cap., JD, JCD, Vice Chancellor and Assistant to the Moderator of the Curia for Canonical Affairs
- Det. Patricia Sullivan, Medford Police.
- Reverend James J. Ronan Pastor, St. Mary – St. Catherine of Siena Parish, Boston
- Donald L. Sherak, M.D., Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, with added qualifications in Forensic and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry; Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association; Member of the Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (MATSA); Medical Director of Whitney Academy; Consultant to the May Institute for Neurorehabilitation and Education and the Springdale Education Center
Archdiocesan Staff for the Review Board:
Jay Crowley, Delegate for Investigations
Mark Dunderdale, Esq., Director, Office of Professional Standards and Oversight
Vivian Soper, LICSW, Director, Office of Pastoral Support and Outreach