A recent Pew Study found that many Catholics view the Eucharist as a mere symbol. Some Catholics even believe the Church actually teaches it is only symbol, not the body and blood of Jesus Christ, bringing to mind Flannery O’Connor’s famous rejoinder on the matter. At a literary gathering back in the 1940s, author Mary McCarthy said she always thought of the Eucharist as a symbol and “it was a pretty good one.” O’Connor replied, “If it’s only a symbol, to hell with it.” She made her point. If the Eucharist isn’t really the body and blood of Christ, then why bother going to Mass? Why bother being Catholic?
Introduction Letter from Cardinal Seán
Please view this letter from Cardinal Sean announcing the Year of the Eucharist where he shares his own love of the Eucharist and his hopes that you, too, will share that love of Jesus truly present in the Eucharist.
Evangelize Boston Twitter
Evangelize Boston Instagram
Archdiocese of Boston Facebook
Archdiocese of Boston Twitter
Archdiocese of Boston Instagram
Cardinal Seán O'Malley Twitter
Cardinal Seán O'Malley Blog
"The Eucharist is 'the source and summit of the Christian life.' 'The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch.'"
- Catechism of the Catholic Church 1324
To view the video with Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Vietnamese subtitles, please visit our Vimeo channel.
Resources and Offerings
Stream Adoration Online
Become a Year of the Eucharist Missionary
Year of the Eucharist Coordinator
Ideas for Your Parish
Pilot Printing Year of the Eucharist Resources
Video Testimonies [COMING SOON]
Catechetical Materials [COMING SOON]
Clergy Resources [COMING SOON]
Adoration in the Archdiocese [COMING SOON]
- Spiritual Exercises for the Year of the Eucharist
- Sophia SketchPad: The Eucharist Video
- The Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Sacrament of the Eucharist: Basic Questions and Answers
- Teaching Kids About Transubstantiation
- An Interview on the Doctrine of Transubstantiation
- Bishop Barron on the Real Presence
"As Catholics, it is in the Eucharist that we learn our identity."
- Cardinal Seán O'Malley, OFM Cap
What to Expect
Throughout this Year we will:
- provide a series of catechetical materials specific to the Eucharist
- invite parishes to provide more opportunities for Adoration and to make more availability for parishioners to pray before the Blessed Sacrament
- feature video testimonies from a wide array of Boston Catholics about their love of the Eucharist